The boys dug in the sand, filling buckets, finding shells, making "racetracks", etc.
They had a ball sleeping in the tent. I think it was about 10:30 when we finally took away their flashlights and made them quiet down.
Most of the people camping from the church were seniors. After the boys went to bed, they all gathered around the fire at Craig & Vickie's site (just outside the boys' tent) and we all sat in a circle and sang hymns for quite a long time. It was very memorable (and I love hearing Michael's deep voice when he sings). I loved that my boys got to hear the hymn-sing as they laid (a.k.a., "played") in their sleeping bags. I hope it stays in their memories. We even sang a special request from Drew: "The B-I-B-L-E".
Neither Michael nor I got a good night's sleep that night. His reasons were obvious ... he was in a tent with two small boys who squirmed all night and couldn't stay warm because they wouldn't stay in their sleeping bags. My reasons were unexpected ... you'd think that I had it made staying in my parents' RV for the night. However, my parents kept getting up in the night to use the bathroom (slamming the door each time) and their couch bed was sooooo uncomfortable. When I woke up, my whole back was sore. Michael & I are now able to plan better for when we go camping with my family in July. Thank goodness we had this trial run!
In addition to learning how to do it better next time around, here are some other observations from the weekend:
One of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to public restrooms is that there are women who are "squatters" and refuse to use anything as a toilet seat cover (you know who you are, ladies!!). If you don't want to touch the toilet, fine; that's your perogative. HOWEVER, PLEASE COVER THE TOILET SEAT ANYWAY. It is because of you that toilet seats have pee on them. That is so gross!!(By the way, I stole this pic off the internet ... notice the chains on the toilet? It was called a "woman-controlled toilet seat". Is that funny or what??)
Observation #2: We stopped to get gas in Lincoln City and Michael & I went inside to get drinks & snacks. We both noticed this new Snickers "Charged" candy bar ... it's loaded with extra caffeine, Vitamin B, and something else. What in the world???!!!!We ran into that infamous Memorial Day traffic heading home from the beach (it took us 3 hours to get home instead of an hour and a half). There were times that traffic was either stopped (long enough for us to turn off the car) or crawling at about 5 mph. During one of those times, we started ascending a hill where the road widened temporarily to 2 lanes. Do you know not one single car went into that extra lane to try and get ahead? Not one. Everyone remained single file. That wouldn't happen in CA in a million years. Yay for Oregonians!
And that, my friends, ends my Memorial Day observations.
It was an awesome weekend for all of us. The boys were most definitely the center of attention ... by my parents, by Craig & Vickie, and by the other seniors who loved having some kids around. It was so nice for me as a mother to see my kids being loved on so much by their grandparents, by their "adopted grandparents" (for lack of a better term), and by others. I love that they have those moments and those memories. Makes me tear up.
As for Michael & I, well, we're still pooped. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment