Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Fireworks of Two Kinds

4th of July was so nice. We spent much of the day working and then planned a very low-key celebration at dark (which isn't until 10:00 or later around here). One of Michael's neighbors (owners of one of the wineries) puts on a party for their friends every year that includes a complete fireworks display. So all we had to do was drive around the corner, sit on the truck's tailgate and then listen to the live music until the fireworks started at 10:30. It was a brilliant display. The best part was that there were absolutely no crowds. Just us and about 5 other cars. How much better can you get?
We had no way to know that there would be fireworks of another kind less than 24 hours later ... early Saturday evening we excitedly drove to Sherwood to pick up the boys from Matt's apartment where they had arrived just minutes before from the airport. Matt showed signs of agitation early on and it quickly escalated into anger. I'm too emotionally and mentally exhausted to relay the details, so you get the short version. His anger turned to rage and he began threatening me as the boys were being put in the car. He then turned on Michael - completely unprovoked (Michael hadn't even made eye contact with him, much less spoken to him) - and started screaming curses at him. He then lunged at him and began pursuing him through the parking lot. The boys were screaming hysterically and we were all terrified. As Matt shoved Michael very hard in the chest several times, I grabbed the phone and called 911. Matt ceased as soon as he knew what I was doing, but he began mocking me. I believe his intention was to beat Michael up and then come after me ... all in public and in front of witnesses. Not to mention the boys who were scared to death.


Needless to say, we had Matt arrested. Because Michael had not sustained any injuries, the charge was Misdemeanor Physical Harrassment instead of Felony Assault. The neighbor very willingly gave the police a statement.

The boys have slept together since that night; they are too afraid to sleep alone. I have been very open and honest with them, keeping our communication open on a level they can understand.

The 3 of us stayed at Craig & Vickie's Sunday night so that we could feel safe. On Monday I was able to get ahold of my attorney. She was wonderful.

Today Michael & I were in court where I was granted a restraining order against Matt. Unfortunately the judge did not grant the restraining order for the boys. He stated I would have to have custody rights changed to protect them. I was very upset about that because I fear for my boys' safety. As we waited for my copies of the restraining order, I prayed that God would send my attorney. No joke ... about 30 seconds later she came walking down the hall from a hearing she had just attended. She gave me a big hug and promised to help protect the boys. She asked Michael & I to come by her office to make an appointment (she is technically on vacation this week). Well, my papers got brought out to me seconds later, so we were able to walk to her office immediately ... and she pulled us in to a conference room and spent a good half an hour developing a plan with us. I don't want to divulge it yet until I am able to enact it, but suffice it to say that my boys will be safe from visiting Matt for the next couple of weeks at least. That will buy us some time to get into court.

Was God right there with us orchestrating today's events or what?

So then Michael & I set off for the Hillsboro Sheriff's Station to deliver the copies of the papers that they will serve to Matt, hopefully tomorrow. We are very fearful for my safety once he is served, but even more fearful once he is notified soon that he will not be able to see the boys. I've been advised not to be at the house for the first 36 hours or so after Matt's been served. We may be headed back to Craig & Vickie's, but I haven't decided yet.

We left the Sheriff's Station in search of a gun shop where we could purchase some protection for me. We had no idea where to find one as we idly drove through Hillsboro and Beaverton. But I told Michael that God has obviously been in this day and I knew He would guide us in the right direction. Just like that, we spotted a surplus store in Aloha. The employee was extremely helpful with all kinds of information. We walked out with the strongest form of Pepper Spray ... a large can for home, as well as a small one for my purse.

I'm also going to find and sign up for a Self-Defense course.

And now my body and mind are mush.

Next week we go camping with my entire family ... all 20 of us. It couldn't have come at a better time for the four of us. It is the perfect "medicine" ... being in nature with no stressors, no fears, no worries ... just family, fun and relaxation. A refreshing for our souls.

Thanks, God!!

2 comments:

lesliemorelie said...

Wow, you sure were held tightly in the Lord's hand there. I'm so thankful. And aren't you glad that Michael can be with you through some of these scary times? What a treasure you've found, huh? Your little road trip looked fun! What a good getaway and a chance for quality time. Talk to you later,
Leslie

Diane Hurst said...

Becky,

This is Diane, Leon's wife, we are praying for you. I cannot imagine how frightened you must have been. Michael sounds like a real blessing. I really admire how you handle things. I sure there are times you want to give up but you keep going for your boys. Hang in there.
Diane